The Subcommittee on Policy and Legal Issues of the Highway Safety Performance Committee provides policy and legal guidance for use, validation and institutionalization of the quantification of highway safety.
Support the Committee and stakeholders to develop policy, and address legal and risk management issues, and to increase application and institutionalization of the quantification of highway safety performance.
The Subcommittee activities include the following:
- Addressing highway safety performance policy, legal and risk management issues associated with the development and implementation of the HSM, as well as the broader context of the quantification of highway safety performance.
Maintaining and updating the Guiding Principles.
- Reviewing work products from HSM contractors, the Committee, its Subcommittees and other documents.
Identifying and developing research needs statements, in collaboration with other aligned/related groups, addressing safety related policy, legal and risk management issues.
- Establishing and maintaining liaison with policy-making groups, including appropriate AASHTO subcommittees, to identify emerging policy, legal and risk management issues that relate to the content of the HSM.
Maintaining liaison with the TRB Committee on Tort Liability and Risk Management and the AASHTO Subcommittee on Legal Affairs to identify and address policy, legal and risk management issues.
- Providing outreach to stakeholders (e.g., NACE, ITE, AMPO, APA, etc.) on potential policy, legal and risk management issues arising out of the use of quantitative safety assessments and information.
- Reviewing work products sponsored or supported by the Highway Safety Performance Committee to provide for consistent integration of HSM content with the policies of other aligned reference documents, to address potential tort liability and risk management issues, and to identify policy-related conflicts, voids, and inconsistencies within the HSM.
- Identifying and recruiting subcommittee members representing the broad constituency of HSM user agencies and others committed to the quantification of highway safety performance.
The activities of the Subcommittee on Policy and Legal Issues are accomplished via meetings, conference sessions, technical sessions, workshops, and preparation of written documentation as may be necessary and appropriate to enhance the quantification of highway safety performance and the utility and implementation and further development of the HSM.
Last updated: August 11, 2010.